The academic year is divided into semesters or terms.
Most of the Departments of the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia have adopted the semesters system:
1st semester from the end of September to mid December
2nd semester from the end of February to the end of May
There are no lectures during the Christmas Break (usually from mid-December to mid-January) and during the Easter Break (approximately one week, usually in April).
Lectures usually take place from Monday to Friday, both in the morning and in the afternoon. Lectures are normally taught in Italian. Attendance at lectures might be compulsory. Please refer to the departments websites.
The exam calendar varies depending upon the Department. Usually there are three main exam sessions:
January - February, June - July and September.
Unimore offers an online exam registration procedure via the ESSE3 website.
- January 1st - New Year's Day
- January 6th - Epiphany
- January 31st - San Geminiano, The Patron Saint of Modena
- March/April - Easter
- April 25th - Public Holiday
- May 1st - Public Holiday
- June 2nd - Public Holiday
- August 15th - The Assumption
- November 1st - All Saints Day
- November 24th - San Prospero, The Patron Saint of Reggio Emilia
- December 8th - The Immaculate Conception
- December 25th - 26th - Christmas Holidays